Crawl Across the Ocean

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Dropdown Menus Are on the March

I've been wanting to add some more links to the site - specifically to some more sources of information such as the media, government, think tanks, statscan, etc, but my sidebar is already pretty lengthy so I decided to put them in dropdown boxes (but don't worry, I will still continue to spell blog 'b-l-o-g' and not 'b-l-a-h-g'). The reason I mention this is to invite anyone who has suggestions for information sources to either email me or post a comment somewhere.

For now, the first list I've added is one for the websites for the (national) political parties. In visiting all the party sites (in order to get the url's) I noticed that while all the parties from the Bloc & Greens on down seem fairly focussed on policy, the Liberal, Conservative and NDP sites all look more like leadership cults than political parties at first glance. Kind of disturbing.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

  • I reaaaaaaaly don't like drop down boxes as link containers. I'd recomend expandable DIVs.

    See http://angrygwn.blogspot.com/ (left menu) for an example of how nice these can look.

    By Blogger Andrew, at 2:05 PM  

  • Is your problem with the drop down box a technical concern, an aesthetic concern, or a personal concern (some tragic drop down episode in your past)?

    Aesthetically I prefer the dropdown box to the DIV but if there's a technical concern I might take that into consideration.

    By Blogger Declan, at 3:20 PM  

  • I wonder if you've considered linkage? If links are in a drop-down are they gonna be read as links by the bots that worry about these things?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:51 PM  

  • Yeah, I thought about that. I'm not sure why a bot would have trouble since the url is there in the html plain as day, but I do notice that technorati doesn't seem to pick up the link to my site from 'My Blahg' (which is in a dropdown box) so maybe there's something to that.

    At any rate, all my links to other blogs will remain as they are, it will just be links to information sources and other such sites where I'm not as concerned about them knowing I linked to them which go into the drop-down boxes.

    By Blogger Declan, at 4:34 PM  

  • hmm, the expandable DIV's are starting to grow on me, (explorer seems pretty cranky with dropdown boxes) but they look a bit complicated. I don't want to pull a Coyne.

    By Blogger Declan, at 7:15 PM  

  • Here's some other types of menus.

    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/index.html

    By Blogger Robert McClelland, at 9:32 PM  

  • Damned blogger comments.
    Try this link.

    By Blogger Robert McClelland, at 9:34 PM  

  • Thanks for the link Robert. I move pretty slowly in terms of site development but I saw a few there which could be useful.

    By Blogger Declan, at 10:01 PM  

  • My concern was an aesthetic one, but Stageleft brings up a good point as well.

    Dropdown boxes are so..... 1998....

    By Blogger Andrew, at 6:02 AM  

  • 1998 eh? My dropdown boxes will be retro-cool in no time!

    Maybe I should add some e-trade adds to my site and make it a tech bubble theme...

    (although IrrationalExuberance.blogspot.com is probably already taken)

    By Blogger Declan, at 8:43 AM  

  • 1998 or not, I like the drop down boxes :-)

    By Blogger the Mom, at 5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home