Crawl Across the Ocean

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

B.C. election televised debate

If, like me, you didn't watch the debate last night (I don't even have cable at the moment, plus I figure that TV and politics shouldn't mix - what's your excuse?), or you just want to see some commentary on what you saw, try here, here or here.

To me, televised debates always seem like a triumph of medium over message and the media coverage of them generally makes me feel sad for the state of our country so I tend to avoid them even when I do have cable. But at the same time I typically find all-candidates meetings to be fascinating and very worthwhile. I don't know if being there in person makes a difference or if it's just that the cautious, stick to the party line, try to get your opponent off their game approach which being on TV enforces makes leadership debates dull and irritating.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • Declan--

    One of the reasons I thought that this one was better than most was because Vaughn Palmer, the moderator, did his job and did it well.

    By Blogger RossK, at 1:25 PM  

  • Thanks for the info - I haven't seen/heard a whole lot of Vaughn Palmer but I've been impressed from what I have seen (mainly that show he does on the SHAW-cable channel).

    By Blogger Declan, at 4:29 PM  

  • That's a pretty lame excuse considering if you should have theoretically been able to watch the debate on TV even with just Rabbit Ears. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:35 AM  

  • That's possibly the worst sentence I've ever written.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:35 AM  

  • No, for whatever reason, at our current location the TV gets almost nothing even with rabbit ears (global can kind of almost be made out through the fuzz).

    Would I have watched the debate even if I had cable that day? That's a tougher question.

    Luckily we now have cable again so I can keep up with important world news like runaway brides and the latest details on Michael Jackson.

    By Blogger Declan, at 8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home