Crawl Across the Ocean

Saturday, June 25, 2005

The Conservative Coyote gets Hit by Another Anvil

I know, I haven't written much about policy lately but I'll get back to that soon, I promise. In the meantime, I was reading the Star this morning when I broke out laughing after coming across the following quote from Conservative party house leader Jay Hill (referring to late Thursday night when the Bloc, NDP and Liberals all agreed to invoke closure and force a vote on the budget when the Conservatives weren't expecting it and didn't have everyone in the house for a vote),
"It's going to be extremely hard to know whether we can trust anyone after what happened on Thursday night,"


Just in case it isn't clear yet, here's some advice for the Conservative party: you can't trust the NDP, you can't trust the Bloc Quebecois and you definitely can't trust the Liberals. I'm not sure about the independents, but I'm guessing you can't trust them either. Heck, after Stronach crossing the floor and Grewal sabotaging his own party, you can't even trust your own MP's.

Trust has a very important place in our society - but parliament hill is not that place.

I'm thinking this is all part of the top-secret, Acme-inspired, Conservative Coyote Plan to shake their label of being 'scary'. You see, the trouble is that, in an ideal world, the Conservatives would like to have a majority government and (potentially) do some stuff that many Canadians would find scary: signing on to the next U.S. foreign adventure, defying the courts by denying rights to gays, cutting taxes and increasing spending plunging us back into deficit, adopting a 'climate change? you don't believe all those silly scientists do you?' policy, starving or shutting down the CBC, removing Federal support for various programs (scientific research, gas tax money for cities), etc. etc. Continuing with the ideal world, the Conservatives would like to shake their 'scary' label without having to shake their scary policies.

Giving lip service to abandoning their scary plans of old hasn't worked well so far - which brings us to the Coyote plan. Anyone familiar with the roadrunner cartoon will remember that while, in real life, being hunted by a coyote is a pretty scary thing for a roadrunner, in a cartoon, the coyote is so consistently, humourously, pathetically inept, that instead of being scary, the coyote is actually kind of endearing and you almost want it to catch the roadrunner sometime.

Maybe this is the Conservative plan, but I'm no political strategist so don't take my word for it.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • Every time I get to the point of wanting to laugh at the tories actions/incredulousness etc. I remember just how effing deceitful these bâtards can be and get angry/scared all over. In just keep repeating the Lyin' Brian mantra over and over to be safe :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:59 PM  

  • Sounds good Doug - If it looks like I'm starting to fall under the spell of Operation Anvil Drop give me a slap.

    By Blogger Declan, at 10:40 PM  

  • Can I give you a slap for the third-last paragraph?

    Other than that, good post.

    By Blogger Andrew, at 7:31 AM  

  • Thanks, but don't give me a slap, give me the blogging equivalent - a counter argument.

    If you want a start, I figured in writing that maybe it was unfair to accuse the Conservatives of being scary both for potentially increasing spending (and creating a deficit)and for cutting spending (CBC, transfers, cities etc.), but since I was just listing all the stuff the Conservatives might do which people would find scary, I figured it was fair game.

    By Blogger Declan, at 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home