Crawl Across the Ocean

Sunday, August 21, 2005

How's My Writing? Call 463-8663

Any time I run across a well written site/post, it makes me want to improve my own writing. That feeling is compounded these days because I'm planning on taking a course on fiction writing (don't worry, I'm not planning on joining the blogging tories:) in the fall, and also because I've recently been reading 'Self-Editing for Fiction Writers', and 'The Elements of Style' - not to mention this post on annoying expressions from the Canadian Cynic: all of which have made me realize just how many cliches, awkward/wordy phrases, business/marketing expressions and so on infect (infest?) my writing, both fiction and this blog as well. At this time, I just want to finalize my habit of writing wordy, overlong sentences and due to the fact that two heads are better than one and notwithstanding the also true fact that too many cooks spoil the broth, the truth remains that I would hopefully be able to fruitfully utilize some assistance and feedback from my loyal customersreaders.

So I just thought I'd throw out an open invitation for people to comment on how they think the writing on this blog could be improved. That's a pretty narrow topic, so really, if there's any aspect of this blog at all (style, topics covered, writing, lack of pictures, font, presentation, layout, doesn't display properly in your browser, etc.) that you think could be improved, leave a comment or send me an email (gmdunne at yahoo.com). Of course, you can do that any time, but consider this a specific invitation.

5 Comments:

  • as a writer that tends toward the wordy, with a special knack for endless sentences, i would like to offer a bit of praise for your blog. my main criterion for reading a bloghas to do with content. igenerally find that you cover issues that i find important and you do so with sufficient style to keep me reading. after all, there are any number of blogs using perfect english to spew crap. at the same time, i commend your desire to improve your writing. a technique i employ is to write in another voice, i find it makes me think about construction, repetition and word choices. cheers.

    By Blogger Lindsay Stewart, at 8:23 PM  

  • where are you taking the course? ok, im not trying to stalk you, ive just been curious about that sort of thing. the last time i took creative writing, i was in grade 11. heh.

    youre using a great template and im glad you customized your layout just enough that it doesnt look like every other blog using the template.

    i cant constructively advise you on your writing cos mine's pushing the blogosphere down to a grade 3 reading level.

    pictures suck. im stealing wireless from the neighbours and it barely works, so more images would only jeopardize my enjoyment of the lovely cato.

    By Blogger ainge lotusland, at 1:17 AM  

  • "How to Write," by Richard Rhodes. Trust me on this one.

    By Blogger CC, at 1:15 PM  

  • Delighted you are taking course on fiction writing.
    Your blog is always(almost always) interesting and amusing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:20 PM  

  • psa - thanks, I think you're right that when it comes to blogging content (and topic choice) is the most important, but good writing is still a pleasure to read.

    ainge - the course is this one (#1141) at VCC. As for the template, yeah I don't want people confusing me with the Calgary Grit!

    I think your writing is fine (plus I think 3rd graders aren't rebellious enough yet to eschew the capitalization), but I'll keep in mind that not everyone likes giant bandwidth sucking pictures.

    cc - thanks for the tip, it sounds interesting from what I've read so far.

    stripes - thanks. I'll keep working on that almost part.

    By Blogger Declan, at 7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home