Crawl Across the Ocean

Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Gospel According to...

Note: Updated to fix the link to Jonathan's post on Democratic Participation.
---


This is just a round-up of some interesting posts from the last few days.

----
John at Dymaxion World makes an interesting case for how China may end up providing us with (many of) the solutions to (some of) our environmental problems. Basically, their resource constraints and environmental problems are so severe that for them finding workable solutions is a necessity, not a luxury.

---
I've been slow to mention that Jonathan has returned to thorough, link-saturated posting over at No More Shall I Roam. In the tenth installment of his Ezra Levant watch he manages the difficult task of making Ezra look even more foolish than usual. And his other recent posts on democratic participation (I disagree in a number of places with this one, but it's still a good post) and crime trends (as reported by the nearly-National Post) were worth reading as well.

---
Matthew, from Fruits and Votes, follows-up on my earlier post about P.E.I.'s exercise in phony democracy, with a good explanation of some limited referendum conditions (beyond a simple majority) that he would support.

In addition, Matthew also has an interesting post-Gomery report post on the interaction between Quebec separatism and our electoral system, explaining how our First Past the Post system is working against national unity at both the Provincial and Federal levels.

---
Finally, Mark, at Section 15, has generally been focusing on more important matters than blogging (Congratulations! btw) and I don't know any bloggers named Luke.

5 Comments:

  • Thanks for the plugs.

    I did another post today on PEI. It seems the island has quite a colorful electoral history!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:34 PM  

  • Colourful indeed! Always nice to be reminded that even if things look a little poorly or unfairly planned and executed now, odds are they used to be a lot worse.

    By Blogger Declan, at 6:47 PM  

  • I was wondering what you'd think of that post on democratic input, Declan. I hope you'll describe in some more detail points you disagree with (although I can guess at the flavour of a few...)

    With the number of ministers of democratic renewal we have, one would have hoped there'd be a lot more discussion on these sorts of issues.

    By Blogger Jon Dursi, at 8:21 PM  

  • Someday, if I get time, Jonathan. It's just that I know if I start, it's the sort of topic where it will be a while before I finish.

    I'm not surprised there is little talk on these issues at the Federal level as I think we really have 'Ministers of pretending to care about democratic renewal so that as little action as possible can be taken', but maybe I'm being cynical.

    By Blogger Declan, at 8:36 PM  

  • I know what you mean, Declan. I have a handful of posts which have been laguishing as `drafts' because I don't have the time to deal with them properly...

    And as for your cynicism, shame on you. Sullying Canadian politics with completely unwaranted cynicism. Your penance is to contritely ask for absolution and to say three `Charter of Rights and Freedoms's.

    By Blogger Jon Dursi, at 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home