Crawl Across the Ocean

Monday, February 13, 2006

Customer Service - Political Version

I'm getting tired of people saying that Emerson's actions are OK, because the voters 'will get to have their say in the next election.'

First of all, no they won't - do you really think Emerson is going to run as a Conservative in Vancouver-Kingsway?

And secondly, that's like me ordering 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire' on DVD and having, 'Kangaroo Jack' show up at my door. And then, when I call to complain, having the company I ordered from tell me that I can't have a refund or make an exchange but it's all OK because I can have my say next time I order something.

4 Comments:

  • Although I am fairly blase about it, I don't think it is "ok". I understand why Van Centre voters feel stung. Having said that, it is a longstanding part of our parliamentary tradition. Just not a particularly attractive part.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:58 PM  

  • Has it ever happened before that an MP has switched before the sitting of parliament?

    I posted at Fruits and Votes that Emerson had "crossed the floor" and one commentator pointed out that you can't cross the floor of a parliament not even meeting!

    He was right. Moreover, it's those other Liberals who will be crossing the floor. Emerson is staying right where he was: On the side of power.

    I find it all quite extraordinary. I saw that even within the Tory caucus there is some consternation.

    I'd be extremely upset if I were a Van-Kingsway voter. I mean, he now sits with a party that got 18% of the vote in the riding.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:35 PM  

  • According to Wikipedia, Emerson is the first MP to swtich parties after being elected but before being sworn in.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Emerson

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:41 PM  

  • It's a travesty for those people who stepped out of the door to vote. After all the sharp words he had while in 'campaign mode' for the Tories and then to cuddle up before the ballot boxes are cold seems awful suspicious, too. How long had he spent measuring his options, and when did he start? And isn't it illegal to offer a bribe, like a cabinet post or a tall whiskey even, to induce an MP to vote or cross the floor?
    I guess Emerson took the 'National Governing Party' to heart, tho.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home