Crawl Across the Ocean

Monday, July 10, 2006

Big Savings

So I went to Tim Horton's for lunch today. I ordered my usual large turkey and bacon sandwich and had the exact $7.27 ready to give to the cashier. But the total only came to $7.20. So I dropped an extra 7 cents in the little coin box they have for collecting for some charity and wandered down to the sandwich making area, reassuring myself that my memory wasn't that bad, and it really did use to be $7.27, not $7.20. Finally, with my sandwich half-made, it hit me - the 1% reduction in the GST was responsible for my 7 cent bounty.

7 whole cents! I'm rich, I'm rich...

3 Comments:

  • Yeah, but you got screwed over by the rounding error. In fact, you only realized a savings of 0.9722%!

    By Blogger Simon, at 5:20 PM  

  • Yes, that occurred to me. I was considering ordering something that comes to $7.5x next time to see if they round up to an 8 cent savings...

    By Blogger Declan, at 6:28 PM  

  • Because the total benifit of a tax cut of this nature can be summed up in a sandwich purchace.

    By Blogger Andrew, at 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home