Crawl Across the Ocean

Monday, July 03, 2006

World Cup Fever / Blog Note

The blog note is just that I do plan to return to political blogging at some point - if not this week, then next week for sure.

As for this past week, aside from being on vacation back in Ontario for my parents 40th wedding anniversary, it was notable (from my perspective) for me having a fairly mild flu, with accompanying mild fever, and since I probably only got sick because I was tired, and I was tired in part from getting up to watch the 6 am World Cup games, I guess you'd call that a World Cup fever.

Anyway, I had another medicore set of predictions in the quarters, getting winners Portugal and Italy right, while getting winners France and Germany wrong. I guess that French team is picking it up as they go along in the tournament - at least Spain doesn't look as bad, the further France goes.

For the semis, I'll take Germany and France.

A few quick comments before I collapse into bed. When Hargreaves stepped up to take his penalty for England, I said, "He'll score, he'll be the only one of them that can score, because he's really from Canada, not England, so he doesn't have the (English penalty-kick) psychological disorder." So some of my predictions aren't too bad, anyway. I was actually rooting for England, and you don't see that every day.

Just when the English commentator seemed to be getting excited at the prospect of Germany being eliminated, they got their equalizer. I was cheering for Germany anyway, but I was glad on general principles to see a team (Argentina in this case) get punished for taking off their best offensive players (Riquelme & Crespo) because they had a one goal lead.

Now I just have to plan a 2 hour lunch time "meeting" for tomorrow, one with the potential of running up to an hour long...

3 Comments:

  • Sorry but I'm completely lost here.
    Is there some sort of football festival going on ?

    By Blogger Alison, at 1:03 AM  

  • "Is there some sort of football festival going on ?"

    You're not from Calgary are you?

    By Blogger Declan, at 5:03 PM  

  • I was also behind England but...I booked the entire Cup off. True story:)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home