Crawl Across the Ocean

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Rite and Wrong

"The next day the little prince came back.

"It would have been better to come back at the same hour," said the fox. "If, for example, you come at four o'clock in the afternoon, then at three o'clock I shall begin to be happy. I shall feel happier and happier as the hour advances. At four o'clock, I shall already be worrying and jumping about. I shall show you how happy I am! But if you come at just any time, I shall never know at what hour my heart is to be ready to greet you... One must observe the proper rites..."

"What is a rite?" asked the little prince.

"Those also are actions too often neglected," said the fox. "They are what make one day different from other days, one hour from other hours. There is a rite, for example, among my hunters. Every Thursday they dance with the village girls. So Thursday is a wonderful day for me! I can take a walk as far as the vineyards. But if the hunters danced at just any time, every day would be like every other day, and I should never have any vacation at all."



I've decided to take a page out of the book of the Fox and the Archdruid and bring some structure to my posting on ethics and systems of survival. From now on, I'll make one post a week, posting on Tuesday each week.

Other posts will continue to appear at random as per usual.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home